Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"What town are we in?"

It may be hard to believe, but New Jersey is actually quite a bit different than North Dakota. In New Jersey all the towns seem to run together. (At least in my experience.) One block you are in one town and the next block you have entered into a completely new one and across the street is yet a different city. Where Grandma and I live is completely different. Everything can be found in the exact city we are in. Well, almost everything. This confuses my grandmother quite a bit.

Gma: Which town are we in?
Me: ***Rolling Hills, Grandma, Rolling Hills.
Gma: Rolling Hills, oh.
(silence)
Gma: So, which town are we in?
Me: Rolling Hills. We will always be in Rolling Hills.
Gma: Well, where do I live?
Me: Rolling Hills.
Gma: Is that where Richard lives?
Me: No, you and I live in Rolling Hills. Richard lives out west.
Gma: You live in Rolling Hills, too? I didn’t know that. Why didn’t anyone tell me?
Me: We did, Grams, you just can’t remember.
Gma: Could be.
(silence)
Gma: So, how long have you and Richard lived together.
Me: We don’t live together, Grandma, we used too but not anymore.
Gma: Why not? Wasn’t he a good husband?
Me: Grandma, Richard is my dad.
Gma: Your father? When did Richard have a child?
Me: A while ago.
Gma: Oh my. I didn’t know that. Why didn’t anyone tell me?
Me: We did, you just can’t remember.
Gma: Could be…What town are we in?

This is our typical car conversation. If I’ve heard it once I have heard it a thousand times. The conversation is on a continuous loop. The good thing is that at least I will never forget where I live…hopefully.


***Town name has been changed***

1 comment:

  1. You are quite the writer Wendy! You are also an amazing person. How wonderful of you to care for your Grams.

    ReplyDelete