Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Christmas 2009— Presents? What presents?

As I mentioned before in Christmas 2009—The Saga of Taco Dip, this would be Grandma’s first Christmas in N.D. and because of a horrible snowfall I was not able to make it over to her house on Christmas Day.

On Christmas Eve I had dropped off all of the presents from our family. Don’t let me fool you. When I say “our family” I mean that I picked out all the presents, wrapped them, and then said it was from a different family member. From my brothers, Grandma was getting a picture frame with a picture I had taken at Thanksgiving of the 3 of them together. My reasoning was that she could never remember what they looked like or who they were and now she would have a constant reminder. From my father was a picture of the 2 of them together. Same reasoning applies. I had gotten her some fancy handkerchiefs she had said she wanted and some new towels for her bathroom.

Seeing that I didn’t have any presents to open on Christmas, I was very excited to watch her open hers. After cleaning up the melted eggnog flavored ice-cream that she had transferred from the freezer to the fridge (and eaten half of) I went behind the couch to bring out the presents.

Me: Grams? Where did your presents go?
Gma: Presents? What presents?
Me: The presents I left here for you and told you not to open until we could do it together.
Gma: Someone must have stolen them!
Me: I don’t think so, Grams.

I looked all around the apartment and finally opened the door to her closet. There they were- partially unwrapped and disheveled.

Gma: Oh yes, I have been meaning to ask you. What are these things?
Me: Those are your Christmas presents. It looks like you opened them.
Gma: I didn’t.
Me: No one is going to come in and open your presents up, Gma.
Gma: (shrugs) Hmm.

As I started throwing out the tattered Christmas wrapping paper, I picked up the picture frame of my brothers and Grandma. I don’t know exactly what she did but she stuck some sticky substance down inside the glass. The picture was torn and bent and she had attempted to stuff it back into the picture frame. At least the towels and other picture frame were all right and she certainly enjoyed the handkerchiefs because I saw one of them sticking out of her purse.
Lesson learned: Don’t bring over any presents you don’t want opened right away!

No comments:

Post a Comment