Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Just call me Terry


As I mentioned, I really had not spent a lot of time with my grandma until I moved her closer to me. The 2nd day she was here she became very agitated with me. The reason: I called her Grandma.

Me: Grandma, I am just going to hang up your shirt over here, okay? Is there anything else you want or need.
Gma: Don’t call me that.
Me: Don’t call you what?
Gma: Grandma.
Me: Why not?
Gma: Call me Terry.
Me: That seems kind of disrespectful.
Gma: Call me Terry.
Me: Alright, Grandma…I mean Terry.

The next day I came over too see how everything was going.

Me: Hi Terry, did you sleep okay?
Gma: Terry? Terry? You think you can call me Terry?
Me: Ummm…what…?
Gma: You should be calling me Grandma. How did Richard raise such disrespectful children?
Me: What? You told me yesterday to call you Terry.
Gma: I never did.
Me: Okay, Grandma.

(Around 12 minutes later)

Me: Okay, Grandma, I am going to take off now. Call me if you want anything.
Gma: (shaking her head) Don’t call me that.
Me: Don’t call you what? Grandma?
Gma: Yes. I don’t like it.
Me: Okay.

This went on for quite some time but now that she actually remembers that I am her granddaughter, we have been sticking with Grandma or sometimes even Grams.

No comments:

Post a Comment