Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Merry Christmas…blah blah blah


Being the awesome
granddaughter that I am I thought that Grandma should send out Christmas cards this year. I purchased some cards and brought them to her apartment. I explained to her what we were about to do and settled ourselves in front of the dining room table. I would be writing out the cards because she has a bad hand.

Me: Okay, Grandma, who do you want to write to first?
Gma: I don’t care.
Me: How about your brother, Mike? That would be good, huh?
Gma: Why should he get one?
Me: Because he is your brother. What do you want to write to him?
Gma: I don’t know. Right whatever you feel like.
Me: These are your cards, Grandma. How about we start off with ‘Merry Christmas’. What should we put next.
Gma: Ummm. Merry Christmas…blah blah blah. Who cares?
Me: Okay, I will just write something. (I write in the card) Okay, why don’t you sign it.
Gma: How should I sign it?
Me: Love, your sister?
Gma: Whatever.
Me: Who’s next? Your son, Richard or do you want to do the boys first?
Gma: What boys?
Me: Your grandsons.
Gma: Skip um.
Me: We can’t skip them, Grams. What do you want to write?
Gma: Merry Christmas…blah blah blah.

This continued on for quite sometime. I wrote out the cards, stamped, licked, and addressed them. She half-heartedly signed her name.

As I started to pack up the cards:

Gma: What about you? Don’t you get one?
Me: Well, I am staying here so I can spend Christmas with you, so you can just tell me Merry Christmas.
Gma: No, you are getting one.
Me: Okay.
(I pull out a card and hand it to her with a pen)
Gma: You write it.
Me: I am going to write my own card? Okay, what do you want to say to me?
Gma: Merry Christmas…blah blah blah.
Me: Oh. I see. (I finish writing) Okay, it is ready for your signature.
Gma: How should I sign it?
Me: How about “Love Always, Grandma” with X’s and O’s
Gma: Hmmph.

Oh, well. At least I got Christmas card this year even if I did have to write it out myself!

1 comment:

  1. Wendy, I had to do my own birthday card from Mom also. It was the last one I ever got from her. I wrote it out with her sitting beside me. I believe she signed it "Del", not Mom. It was $20. in it for a gift. It's been on my desl for 5 years now. Unopened. Just can't do it! I understand ALL of your stories! Karen

    ReplyDelete