Monday, May 24, 2010

Introduction





Let’s start out with a little background info on the relationship my grandmother and I have shared up until the point of September 2009. (Don’t worry it won’t take long.)

The best way to describe our relationship is a direct quote from my grandmother. My grandmother always says, “You don’t know me.” Tis true. I do barely know this woman or up until September 2009 I barely knew this woman. Now, I may know her better than she knows herself, although she does throw me for a loop every once in awhile.

My grandmother, Teresa, was born in Europe either in Russia or Germany. She immigrated with her parents and her little brothers and they settled in New Jersey. For now, we need not go into specifics but needless to say, Teresa had a son, my father, Richard. Richard didn’t stay in New Jersey but came to North Dakota. I know, I know, what you are thinking. Why would someone come from New Jersey to North Dakota and if I had a $1 for every time someone asked me that I would be a very rich woman. Being that my grandmother lived so far away I rarely saw her. I have pictures of her being there shortly after I was born and I know that she came out every year for exactly one week up until I was around 13. She sent very few letters and in fact wouldn’t have sent any if I hadn’t sent her one in the first place.

I flew out to visit her for a week after my freshman year of college and made sure that I called her at least once a month to check up on her. In September of 2009, I moved her from N.J. to N.D. to live in an assisted living facility less than 10 minutes away. My father, who lives over 4 hours away from us, didn’t seem up to the challenge and it seemed like the right thing to do. The following posts will not be in any particular order and I hope they give you a chuckle or at least a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment