Tuesday, May 25, 2010

And you're not gonna reach my telephone! My telephone! M-m-my telephone!—Wait, nope, that’s my TV remote.

While in New Jersey, Grandma supposedly had 3 telephone handsets, when she was delivered into my hands, she only had 2. After a few weeks and a lot of confusion, I found out why.

Me: Grandma is there something wrong? You don’t pick up the telephone when I call.
Gma: This stupid telephone is broken. I need a new one.
Me: Here, let me see it, Grandma.
Gma: Terry, my name is Terry.
Me: Here, let me see it, Terry. (She hands me the silver object she was holding in her hand.) Terry, this is the television remote.
Gma: What?
Me: You can’t talk into this. It is for the tv only.
Gma: That is a phone.
Me: No, it’s not.
Gma: Well, why didn’t anyone tell me?
Me: I don’t know but this is a tv remote.

By this time I knew to always carry a marker, tape, and blank pieces of paper around. I labeled each of the phones with ‘phone’ and the television remote with ‘T.V.’ That problem was solved…for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment