Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Competition…also known as Emmy, the 7-year old

I will admit it had been quite sometime between visits to Gma. Recently, I stopped in for a little visit and found that good ol’ Gma had basically replaced me…with a 7-year old named Emmy*.

Me: Gma? Who is the girl in this picture?
Gma: Emmy, of course.
Me: Ummm…Emmy? Who is Emmy?
Gma: My pen pal.
Me: Well, do you want me to put the pictures of boys and I up?
Gma: I don’t want them up. I have Emmy.
Me: (thinking that she was finally getting her marbles back.) What is my name Gma?
Gma: Meh, I don’t know.
Me: Gwen.
Gma: Eh, that is what I thought.

As I sat there listening to all the things that Emmy and Gma had done I began to grow a bit jealous. I also noted that there were several paintings around the apartment.

Me: Gma? Have you been painting? (Holding up painting) This is really cute.
Gma: Not mine.
Me: Are you sure? It has your name on it.
Gma: Not mine.
Me: Who else would have put your name on it?
Gma: Someone sneaky.
Me: Hmmm…(holding up photo of Gma painting) What are you doing in this photo?
Gma: Painting with Emmy of course. I just did blue circles.
Me: Ah. I see.

Obviously, I need to visit Gma a little more often so I can bump Emmy* out of the running for favorite grandchild.

*Child’s name has been changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment