Friday, June 25, 2010

Grizzly’s Conversations

For some reason, my grandmother refuses to understand that a girl my age, 25, can be single. That added to the fact that “I don’t really know her” leads to quite a few problems. When we go out to lunch, I usually take her to Grizzly’s. Why? There doesn’t seem to be a lot of people there and I wanted to see how she reacted to all of the taxidermy animals. We have had many conversations at Grizzly’s but one in particular stands out in my mind.

Sitting down at the table:

Gma: (looking around) This is an interesting place. I bet a lot of people come here.
Me: Yup. It is very popular. (We are the only ones seated.)
Gma: So, how is Richard doing?
Me: Oh, he’s fine, busy.
Gma: Is he a nice husband?
Me: I guess so.
Gma: How long have you two been married?
Me: I am not married to Richard. He is my father.
Gma: Oh? Why didn’t anyone tell me that?
Me: We did Grandma. You just don’t remember.
Gma: That could be. So, are you dating anyone?
Me: No.
Gma: Why not.
Me: I don’t want to.
Gma: (as waitress approaches the table) Are you a lesbian? Do you like girls?
Me: (In disbelief that my grandma knows what a lesbian is) No!
Waitress: Do you two need a minute?
Me: YES!

My grandmother has not asked me that question again. This is something that is an oddity and something I am extremely grateful for.

1 comment: